6 Ways To Keep Your Room
Cool Without Air Conditioning
People living in Singapore know that air conditioner is an
inevitable appliance to keep the home or office cool in the
hot and humid environment of this tropical country. But
sometimes it becomes necessary to live without air
conditioning due to various reasons like unaffordable power
bills or improper working of the air conditioner or any
other similar reason. In such condition you must know how to
keep room cool so that you can live comfortably, at least
until an alternative arrangement. Some tips are provided
here under to help you in such situation.
1. Lessen the heat inside the room
Every home has some resources and appliances that heat up
the environment of the room. First of all you will have to
control all such points.
- You can keep the windows of your room covered or closed in
the morning before the day starts getting heated and do not
open them until the outdoor air gets cool, to let cool air
- Turn off the lights that emit lots of heat, if not
- Change the highly glowing bulbs with CFLs or LEDs
- If not required plug off the electronic appliances that
generate heat while running on electricity
- Avoid cooking inside the home or opt for pre-cooked foods
that do not need warming while using
- Ironing and laundry should not be done inside the room
when the day is hot as it can increase its temperature.
2. Make it difficult for outdoor heat to come in
You can make it possible by upgrading energy efficiency of
your home. Though you will have to spend some money for this
purpose but certain utility companies and local governments
also offer some rebates discounts under scheme welfare
schemes to the people opting for it. These steps can be
helpful in reducing your power bills even if your install an
air conditioner in future.
- You can not only easily increase your comfort level but
also reduce your power bill round the year by strengthening
the insulation of your attic to keep room cool.
- Seal the leaks in your windows and doors as well as
between the attic and living space so that hot air could not
come in from outdoor and cool indoor air may not go out. You
can also use foam gaskets to cover the outlets for this
- Insulate and seal all the seams of the ducts by wrapping
them or using good quality sealant to prevent the leakage of
indoor cold air into the crawl space or attic.
- An old refrigerator is also a good source of heating your
indoor. You can also replace it with latest energy efficient
models to keep room cool.
- You can also install solar screen or solar-control film on
your windows to reduce the effect of solar heat during the
day in Singapore.
- You can paint the exterior of your home with light color
shades as they will reflect solar heat and keep your home
3. Cool your home naturally
Some tricks of Mother Nature can also help you to keep room
cool in a natural manner.
- You can have natural cooling effect in your room if you
open up your windows to let outdoor air come in as outdoor
air always remains cooler than indoor air.
- Maximise the ventilation of your room by opening its
higher and lower windows as it will allow the outdoor air
circulate in your room in a cyclical manner, which will cool
your indoor temperature.
- You can also reduce your indoor temperature by shading
your home smartly. You can shade your home by using trees,
shrubs and vines on its outdoor along the porch roofs and
awnings to give it a landscaping look.
- You can also use shade casting items to block most of the
solar heat to heat the walls and windows of your home.
4. Use fans
If natural air is not enough to keep room cool then you can
use fans to keep yourself cool. No doubt they will consume
electricity but it will be much less than an air
Â· While using fan for this purpose you should keep in mind
that instead of cooling your room fan will cool only the
people in the room by evaporating their sweat.
- Your fan will throw air on your skin which will carry away
the heat of your body and make you feel cool by evaporating
your sweat. So you will have to set up fan in the direction
where people are sitting and turn it off immediately when
not in use.
- Moreover you can use a fan according to your space and
utility as various types of fans are available in the
market. A ceiling fan will be the best option if you need
air in the entire room but if you want to carry your fan
wherever you go then floor or table fan will be the best
choice for you.
- You can also use window fans to suck indoor hot air and
throw away outdoors
- You can also install a whole-house fan in the attic to use
in the early morning or after sunset to suck cool air
through windows and throw out hot air forcefully through
vents in the attic.
5. Instead of house focus on your body temperature
If it is difficult for you to keep room cool even by using
any of the above discussed methods then you should focus on
cooling your body temperature.
You can apply cold cloth on your wrists and neck as they are
strong pulsed areas in your body and sip ice cold drinks to
cool yourself inside out. Avoiding embracing your partner
and choosing your clothing smartly are some of the other
ways to keep yourself cool in Singapore.
6. Make your bed heat-proof
If you have failed to keep room cool without air conditioner
then you can try with making your bed heat proof. You can
use Chillow under your head and for feet you can fill a hot
water bottle and put it in the freezer to cool it
While going to bed you can put this chilled bottle at your
feet. You can also dampen your bed sheet before seeping to
help you calm down while sleeping.
@bsolute Aircon- Aircon Servicing & Repair Company in
Thank you for the great service and also
knowledgeable air conditioner technician who
explained to me in detail on what happened to my
air conditioner. Highly recommended.
Mr Daniel Seah (Hillview Ave)
@bsolute Aircon- Your solution for all
types air conditioner Servicing, Chemical Wash & Repair
Services in Singapore
Singapore Leading air conditioner
Servicing, Chemical Wash & Repair Services
We are specialist in air conditioner
Servicing, air conditioner Repair, Chemical Wash,
Topup Gas & air conditioner Installation
Copyright 2004-2015 absoluteaircon.com.sg All
rights reserved worldwide