Anyone that needs to buy an air conditioner must be aware of the different types available. The most common types are the inverter air conditioner and the non inverter air conditioner. So what is the difference between these two aircon’s? Most of the people have the mindset that an inverter aircon will heat and cool at the same time. The truth is that both air conditioners perform the same function. Basically, the inverter air conditioners tend to be newer in the Singaporean market, more than the non inverter. One of the major differences between the two is that an inverter aircon will have an inverter rating, while the non inverter unit will have an energy efficient rating. Here is a look at the difference between the two:
Functions of the aircon’s inverter
One of the top differences is in their functionality of the inverter of that aircon. This is a tool that is found in both the aircon’s and it is meant to save on the electricity being used. The inverter that is found on the Inverter aircon will control the compressor motor speed, which means that it will change the temperature as required. In the long run, this will help to limit the consumption of electricity by the aircon. The compressor of the non inverter aircon will function at a maximum ability or zero. This will mean that the aircon might end up using excess energy to control the current, leading to increased bills.
The compressor unit
The amount of cooling or heating that is needed by the unit is another common factor that brings about the difference. These two will also affect the internal and external temperature of the particular room that the aircon is installed. The inverter aircon will operate using a compressor unit that is controllable. The compressor of the inverter aircon will work at a higher speed, which will enhance the refrigerant quantity. This will happen mostly if the there is need to increase the heating or cooling capacity of the unit. Conversely, if the temperature is lower, the compressor will operate at a reduced speed, which will cut down on the refrigerant amount. On the other hand, the non inverter air conditioner, the compressor is not easily controlled. This implies that the compressor will not operate at all, or it will operate at its maximum ability. In case there is a need for high refrigerant amounts, then the compressor will run at a higher speed. Conversely, if there is a need for low refrigerant amounts, then it will go off. This will mean that there will be higher and uncontrolled energy consumptions.
Friendliness to the environment
The inverter aircon tends to be friendlier to the environment than the non inverter. Here, the inverter air conditioner is able to sense an abrupt change in the room temperature. When this happens, the compressor will either work faster or slower, depending on the temperature. In case the room temperature reaches its target, then the compressor will change its speed to its default. This helps to sustain a constant room temperature. The inverter aircon will help to save the energy used, whereby, it uses about 30 to 50% less energy than the non inverter aircon’s.
How the unit works
Technically, the inverter aircon is more accurate than the non inverter units. With the non inverter aircon, it will work on a fixed heating or cooling power and the compressor will run at a default speed. This implies that the compressor will start and stop when it is needed by the unit. With the inverter units, they will be super flexible and will work according to the room temperature. The speed will change according to the temperature of the room.
Summary of the non inverter air conditioners
– They will work on a single or a constant speed, either full power or no power, where it turns off.
– It uses more electricity, due to the start-stop frequency. This is because there will be more power needed to start up the unit, which ends up using more electricity.
– They use one or two compressors that links to several indoor units, which means that you will need to use the air conditioner’s full capacity to serve all the rooms.
– They can be unreliable, since they will keep on going off and on, in relation to the change in the room temperature. Any time the temperature of the room goes extremely high or low, the non inverter unit will either go on or off, which might not be that reliable.
– They are cheaper. One upper hand of the non inverter air conditioners is that they are cheaper, compared to the inverter units. This could be because they are not designed with automation of controlling the speed of the compressor.
Summary of the inverter air conditioner
– They save more energy than the non inverter units. They will not go off, regardless of the temperature of the room, meaning that they will consume less energy.
– They have variable settings, which will be suitable for any type of house or room.
– They tend to be quieter, when running. Compared to the non inverter aircon, the inverter aircon runs smoothly and with less noise.
– They tend to be more reliable, especially since they have a well controlled compressor, which will work according to the room temperature.
– They also have a longer life span, especially with the compressor. In most cases, the compressor is the major component of the aircon and if it can last for long, then the aircon can also last for long.
– They are more expensive. One major drawback of the inverter air conditioner is that it will be more costly than the non inverter. The good thing about them is that you will end up spending less on your electricity bills, so there is no much pain in its price.
The bottom line is that the non inverter air conditioner might be cheaper to buy, but they will be more expensive to manage. On the other hand, the inverter air conditioners are expensive to buy, but quite cheaper to manage and they work more accurately.