Singapore’s tropical climate can be scorching, especially during the heatwave season. As a result, many people rely on air conditioning to keep their homes and offices cool and comfortable. However, the increased use of aircon units can lead to higher energy consumption and a spike in electricity bills. In this article, we’ll share some practical tips on how to reduce aircon energy usage during the heatwave season in Singapore without sacrificing comfort.
Optimize Your Aircon Settings
Optimizing your air conditioning settings is one of the easiest ways to reduce aircon energy usage. Here are some steps you can take:
Adjust the Temperature Setting
- Set your aircon thermostat to a comfortable but slightly higher temperature, ideally between 24°C to 26°C.
- Every degree increase in temperature can save up to 10% in energy consumption.
Use the Fan Mode
- Switch to the fan mode when the room has reached a comfortable temperature.
- This mode consumes less energy than the cooling mode while still providing adequate air circulation.
Utilize the Timer Function
- Use the timer function to turn off your aircon after a specific period, typically when you’re asleep or leaving the room.
- This prevents unnecessary energy consumption and helps you save on electricity bills.
Maintain Your Aircon Unit Regularly
Proper maintenance of your aircon unit is crucial in reducing energy usage. Follow these maintenance tips:
Clean or Replace Filters
- Dirty filters restrict airflow, causing your aircon to work harder and consume more energy.
- Clean your filters at least once a month or replace them as the manufacturer recommends.
Inspect and Clean the Outdoor Unit
- Ensure the outdoor unit is free from dirt, debris, and obstructions to maintain efficient airflow.
- Schedule regular professional maintenance to clean and inspect the outdoor unit.
Check for Refrigerant Leaks
- Low refrigerant levels can cause your aircon to work harder and consume more energy.
- Have a professional technician check for leaks and refill the refrigerant if needed.
Enhance Your Home’s Energy Efficiency
Improving your home’s energy efficiency can help reduce aircon energy usage during the heatwave season. Consider these tips:
Install Energy-efficient Windows
- Double-glazed or low-emissivity (Low-E) windows reduce heat gain and improve insulation.
- Consider adding window films or shades to reduce heat transfer further.
Seal Air Leaks
- Inspect your home for air leaks around doors, windows, and other openings.
- Use weatherstripping, caulk, or expanding foam to seal gaps and prevent cool air from escaping.
Use Ceiling or Stand Fans
- Combine air conditioning with ceiling or stand fans to circulate cool air more effectively.
- This allows you to raise the thermostat setting without compromising comfort, reducing energy usage.
Adopt Smart Cooling Strategies
Implementing smart cooling strategies can help you save energy and stay comfortable during the heatwave season:
Opt for a Programmable Thermostat
- Install a programmable thermostat that adjusts the temperature settings based on your daily routine.
- This ensures optimal cooling efficiency and prevents energy wastage.
Upgrade to an Energy-efficient Aircon Model
- Consider investing in an energy-efficient aircon unit with a 5-tick Energy Label under Singapore’s Mandatory Energy Labelling Scheme (MELS).
- These units consume less energy and can result in significant savings over time.
Use the “Dry” or “Dehumidify” Mode
- Switch to the dry or dehumidify mode on your aircon during high humidity days.
- This mode consumes less energy while effectively reducing the humidity levels, making the room feel cooler and more comfortable.
Practice Efficient Cooling Habits
Adopting efficient cooling habits can significantly impact your aircon energy usage:
Close Doors and Windows
- Keep doors and windows closed while the aircon is running to prevent cool air from escaping and hot air from entering.
- This helps maintain the desired temperature and reduces the strain on your aircon unit.
Avoid Heat-generating Activities
- Refrain from heat-generating activities, such as cooking, ironing, or using the oven, during the hottest parts of the day.
- Perform these tasks during cooler hours to minimize the need for additional cooling.
Use Energy-efficient Lighting
- Replace traditional incandescent bulbs with energy-efficient alternatives like LED or CFL bulbs.
- These options emit less heat, reducing the need for additional air conditioning.
Reducing aircon energy usage during the heatwave season in Singapore is not only possible but also essential to lower electricity bills and contribute to a greener environment. By optimizing your aircon settings, maintaining your unit regularly, enhancing your home’s energy efficiency, adopting smart cooling strategies, and practicing efficient cooling habits, you can effectively reduce aircon energy consumption without compromising on comfort. Remember these tips and enjoy a cool, energy-efficient home during the hot season.